Friday, November 20, 2009

Amigos para siempre

Wow - it was only just now as I was doing the dishes that I realized that I just had my last day of med school "school".  I'm happy about that, don't get me wrong.  But it hit me that never again will I sit in a lecture theatre with my trusty gang of side-kicks.  Oh wait, maybe I'm the side-kick.  Never mind, it doesn't matter.

Bye bye guys, I'll miss youse.  Thanks for putting up with my stupid jokes.  Thanks for letting me sit with you at lunch time.  Thanks for not calling me out for my lack of work in our first PBL group.  Thanks for letting me have the good red seat in the new LT2.  Thanks for sticking that goddamn needle in my arm so far that it was bruised for two weeks - ha ha - oh, the memories.  But mostly, thanks for helping this old man across the street. 

I was pretty shit-scared for my first couple of months of medical school.  I knew some of the folks in the year ahead of me thanks to my Smaller Half, so I could always take refuge in their company if I needed to, but I didn't know anyone at all in my own year.  Everyone seemed to already know each other so I figured I was stuffed.  Med school is incredibly cliquey, which is a great shame. But it was such a relief to eventually find a little circle of friends I could call my own, rather than have to keep circling around the periphery of the crowd.

Next year we'll all be fanging off to different parts of the country and we might not see each other much at all from now on.  But every time I see a completely hairless man, I'll think of you.

4 comments:

JdR said...

So you're on some sort of med school schoolies now?

Does that come with toolies? Doolies? Or somesuch?

Anyway congrats. Yesterday was my last day at work too - at least until Monday when I go back there for more soul destruction.

Avagudweegend.

PTR said...

Unfortunately no. Exams next week.

However, the town where we live is the premier schoolies/toolies destination for the state, so I got a pretty bad nights sleep last night.

Anonymous said...

Out of all med schoolers, I'm glad that you're the one to sit on that particular red seat. It really does suit your personality and complexion best.

PTR said...

Red ones go faster!