Monday, October 26, 2009

Red-eye

Again, not much to report.  I've begun the final 4-week block before the last exams of 2nd year.  I'll be spending them on on two two-week attachments to wards at the hospital while we also get various clinical skills tutes flung at us.


Today we learned some stuff about eyes.  Namely, how to shine lights into them, how to test people who can't read good, and a little mini-lecture about "the red eye" and some info about various ophthalmological (a difficult word to say, let alone type) potentially life-threatening problems.  The red eye stuff was interesting.  When I hear the phrase, "red eye", some part of my brain leaps to The Lord Of The Rings and imagines Sauron's eye of flame in his tower at Barad-Dur.  My guess is that Sauron had a subconjunctival haemorrhage.  Maybe Elendil poked him in the eye.

Anyway, that's enough prancing elf-speak.

I went up to the ward that will be my home for the next two weeks and met the interns who will shepherd me around.  They were really nice and friendly.  They even gave me a chocolate!  The only downside is I have to be there at 8 am for ward rounds, which means I'll be either getting up really early or driving really fast.  Actually, the other downside is that apparently I am supposed to have some kind of basic competence in history taking and examinations.  However, I have a cunning plan.  I will head off the requirement for competence by appearing to be a dolt.  I reckon it'll work like a charm.

No comments: