Thursday, July 2, 2009

Diligent ligaments

I've come across some nice uses of ordinary words in the medical context recently. One of our lecturers described how lesions in the spinal cord are very "eloquent" because you can tell exactly where the problem is from the clinical signs. I think it was also him who mentioned that nerve damage can cause the skin to become "exquisitely painful". And today in my clinical skills tutorial when we were examining the knee, my tutor described one of my Esteemed Colleague's ligaments as "lax" because his knee joint was quite loose.

When it was my turn to be examined we found that my knee doesn't have much give in it at all. I declared that this was because my ligaments are "diligent". My tutor wasn't so sure that was the right word but it sounds pretty good to me.

3 comments:

PTR said...

I think it's kind of sad that my knee is my most (only??) diligent part.

Anonymous said...

PTR,

Commenting on your own blog smacks of onamism!

PTR said...

I was just trying to tempt you to join in.

Mission accomplished.