Friday, August 14, 2009

War ward


Hey I need some help from you people. You know how if someone has been injured a lot recently in professional sport, the commentators will say, "He's been in the wars a lot recently". Or do they say, "He's been in the wards a lot recently"?

Both of them make sense and it's really hard to tell which one it is. Or is it something else entirely?

I have a horror of mispronuniciating things like this. One of my Esteemed Colleagues pointed out to me that one of our lecturers used the phrase, "for all intensive purposes", and he wasn't talking about intensive care. Things like that make me wish I carried around a big gong. I'd stand right up in class and bash the gong like those old Rank Arena clips before daytime telemovies. And then I'd say, "FAIL!"

And then my lecturer would say, "FAIL!" and he'd ask my name, and I'd tell him his own name, and he'd be like, "Really? What a coincid... wait - what's your real name?", and I'd run out of the lecture theatre and quickly shave my beard off and then walk back in like I was a different guy and say, "Boy you sure scared him off!" and then we'd all laugh and be best friends.

Back to the study I guess...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boy you really are outdoing yourself with these exams.

And for the record, I believe the saying is,
"He's been in the walls a lot recently"

PTR said...

Aaah, walls. Yes, I've heard him in the walls, creep creep creeping around, stealing my thoughts. Thanks for your help, I knew that I could rely on anonymous internet fairies to help me.

Anonymous said...

'For all intensive purposes', its wars.

-L

PTR said...

Oh, so you say it's wars? Man, I need to phone a friend.

Anonymous said...

For all those in tents and porpoises, I think he's been in the whores.

PTR said...

Haha that sounds like some kind of debauched beach holiday. No wonder these footy players are always injured.

Anonymous said...

What about those pratts who start meetings by saying "without further adieu, let's get started".

Why would you say goodbye at the beginning of a meeting?

There has to be some very witty retort around "Much adieu about nothing", but I've never quite been able to finish off that thought.

PTR said...

Really? I've never heard anybody say that. But I can think of plenty of meetings that would have been improved by starting with "goodbye".