Friday, June 26, 2009

Spider redux

Oh yeah, this morning when I opened the door of my car to get in, the spider was waiting for me. It had crawled up into the crack at the bottom of the door frame. When the door opened it went scurrying along the bottom edge of the door frame, ready to either leap onto my face and make me dance or else run into the car and hide, forcing me to let the car roll into the ocean and sink.

I got a huge adrenaline rush and kicked wildly at the spider until it fell onto the ground and I could vault over it into the car, slam the door shut and hyperventilate for a while. Once I'd calmed down I then had to figure out how to reverse my car back onto the street without crushing the spider under my wheels. Stupid guilt.

It's noteworthy that I saw the spider on Monday evening and then again on Friday morning, meaning that it had travelled at least 450 km on the outside of my car in a variety of weather conditions. That's pretty impressive. And yes, it was definitely the same spider. I recognised its beady little eyes and the carnation in its lapel.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a car spider! He's huge and likes to chill on my windscreen when we go to Woolies. Sometimes he skitters to the rear windscreen just to shake things up a bit. He'll probably go in for the kill next time I have my windows down to sing bad 90s pop music at the top of my lungs.

PTR said...

Oh my god! You open your mouth in your car when you know you have a car spider? *shakes head*

How do you think the car spiders survive? Maybe they pluck bugs out of mid-air at 100 km/hr at they go whizzing past. Using chopsticks.

Anonymous said...

I thought only grasshoppers did the chopstick-fly-catching thing.

PTR said...

Really? Maybe spiders use sporks then.