Monday, March 2, 2009

A simple story involving a humorous misunderstanding

Found myself wandering around a Myer department store on the weekend. As happens when you're pretty much eligible for the Senior's Card, I realized that a quick trip to the bathroom would be desirable. Rather than careen randomly around the store in an ever-increasing state of urgency, I made my way purposefully to the store directory near the escalator and verified that yes indeedy, this floor had a bathroom on it. But it didn't say precisely where.

Figuring that it had to somewhere on the perimeter, and probably near the elevators, I made my way even more purposefully there. But the bathroom was nowhere to be found. So for lack of a better strategy I decided to circumnavigate the store in a counterclockwise direction. I made my way briskly around the entire floor, eventually arriving back at my starting point in a state of near panic.

I decided to try a different floor, so I went back to the escalators, and that was when I realized that I had mis-interpreted the sign beforehand. It did indeed say "Level 5: Bathroom", but it continued on with, "Kitchen, Manchester, Furniture" - what I thought was an indication of facilities was just one more sales department. It's just as well they don't actually sell toilets or there could have been a terrible scene.

No comments: