Saturday, September 6, 2008

Ungracious loser

It's Show Time here in Adelaide! I live close to the showgrounds, so the quiet nights are punctuated with loud music, screams, and fireworks. It's all very exciting!

It reminds me of being a kid, when it was show time in the town where I grew up. Every year I would go on rides if I dared (I was scared of The Hurricane for a long time, mostly because of the strange whooshing bangs it made when it moved), dodgem cars, watch the Bridgestone Precision Driving Team, watch the fireworks, play on those machines where you drop a ball in the clown's mouth and win prizes (I soooo loved those things), eat a dagwood dog, and I would go with Dad to look at the agricultural exhibitions even though I found it boring.

There was always a Lego building category in the exhibition too. I remember it clearly because it was so lame. I was the best Lego designer/builder in the world I think. I could easily build much better stuff than the junk that won the prizes year after year in the show. One year the winner had just made the kit straight out of the box, no originality at all! Obviously the judges were incompetent fools!

So every year I would vow to enter the next year and sweep the prize pool. But a year is a long time when you're a kid (not like now. These summer days go slow, but the years - they fly by) and of course I would have forgotten all about the Lego category until I entered the hall and saw the Lego, sandwiched between the model airplanes and the tea-cakes. And then I would realize once more that I had forgotten to enter, and some other idiot had won undue recognition for his mediocre skills. Nooooooooo!!!

It's just like the Reader's Digest Sweepstakes, and the Oscars, and the Nobel Prize. Always getting won by the only moron who remembered to enter. Those punks!

No comments: