Monday, September 15, 2008

Fascias and Fistulas

I'm really enjoying the anatomy class I'm taking. The thing I like most about it is that there are a lot of really strange sounding names for things in the body. I love unusual words. I sometimes repeat them over and over to myself or incorporate them into little tunes or ditties that I can hum. I suppose it helps me remember them.

Something that struck me today when we were going over the upper limb (which I like to call the "arm"), is that many of the best names have an almost Tolkien-ish vibe to them. I was sitting in class imagining little bits of dialogue from overwrought fantasy novels using those words.

Like this:

Bow down before the Mighty Thenar Eminence, worthless dog!

Or this:

Behold! The lost city of Olecranon, glittering like a diamond in the desert sun!

Or even:

My sword is forged of pure Acromion - I will smite you down unless you yield!

I was thinking that this was probably a pretty weird thing to do, but when I came home and told my Smaller Half, she completely agreed with me. Ain't she cool?

No comments: