Sunday, June 8, 2008

Weeks 6 & 7: Why you are fat

Weeks 6 and 7 were for me the hardest weeks of the semester. We plunged deep into the brambly ravine of biochemistry. I was separated from the party when I dropped back to get a rock out of my brain. Night fell. I wandered cold and lost, far from home. There was nothing to eat except glucose and lipids. Oh, and some ketones, but not until all the lipids were gone and I was starving. Sharp thorns from the palmitoyl trees scratched me as I stumbled blindly through thickets of triglycerides.

Enough dramatics. Just let it be known that this is not my strong point. I'm planning to go into the exam and write things like "Insulin makes you fat! Glucagon makes you thin!", for which I will get zero marks, because it's patently untrue. But don't all falsehoods carry within them a germ of truth? Hmm? Maybe if I write that I'll get bonus marks for insight.

It's really not as bad as all that. I have actually done a fair bit of work on this stuff. I know how glucose is used, how glucose is made, how the body absorbs, uses, and creates fat, I know what insulin does, what glucagon does, and the names of the major enzymes in all these processes. I'll be able to answer the exam questions on this stuff.

But I won't like it.

No comments: