Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Studyingest Student

Today's been a real up and down day for me. Exam in the morning. I opened up the paper and was ... not happy, but relieved that it all looked manageable. I had about 5 minutes of panic when I started writing and out came gobbledegook because I was trying to write everything I was thinking at once. So I stopped, took some deep breaths, took some more deep breaths, realized I was about to start hyperventilating, stopped breathing for a while, then started drawing some diagrams on my scratch-paper. That helped a lot because I am predominantly a visual thinker so I was able to unclog my thoughts a bit. After that it was mostly fine.

I say mostly fine because there was the odd moment when I got confused over something being (for example) stimulatory or inhibitory, so I'd cross it out and correct it, then come back to it later and cross it out again and uncorrect it, and so forth. As long I got the parity of my corrections right I'll be fine.

So I'm sure I passed that one. Phew!

Went off to have lunch with my smaller half as part of my patented post-exam relaxation period. Great lunch at Boho on Unley Rd. I really like this place, especially their half-price lunches. Even better, they were playing jazz rather than pop-crap so it was a very relaxing atmosphere.

Which makes this afternoon somewhat inexpicable. For some reason I became overwhelmed with negativity regarding my exam tomorrow. It seemed completely unassailable. I tried to work, but alas, I couldn't. I wiggled my brain. My brain just wouldn't. I fell on my books. I fell on my face. I fell on myself all over the place.

I slept. Didn't work. I ate. Didn't work. I came and read my notes and thought, "hmpf" a lot. Played some scrabble. Played some chess. Hmpf. I slept again. That worked a bit. Came back out and read notes again. Started to feel better. Thought that maybe if I just had a good old fashioned whinge on my blog I would feel heaps better.

And I do. Thanks! On with the study! 13 hours to go until Immunology...

No comments: