Saturday, November 29, 2008

Aworkia


Note to self: it's a bad idea to look at old holiday photos when you should be studying.

I came back to my desk, looked over some past exams, did a bit of this, a bit of that, then thought (foolishly), I might just spend 5 minutes checking out those pictures I took in Spain in January.

Almost 45 minutes later - still checking out pictures. Looking at them has instilled me with a sense of what the hell am I doing sitting at this desk? And while that's a valid question, now is probably not the time to be asking it.

It makes me long for the time when we would wake up every few days in a new place, not really knowing what the day had in store. We travelled from town to town on bus or train. We never knew where we would be staying, since once we arrived we just wandered around with our packs until we found something that seemed okay.

We often didn't have a clue what we were really ordering when we ate. We were often too hot or too cold or lost or hungry. We squabbled about trivia. We marvelled together at the world.

But you know what? Soon enough we're doing it all over again - but different.

By Tuesday lunchtime I'll be finished first year medicine (fingers crossed). By Saturday we'll be in Hanoi. And you know what we'll do there? Neither do I.

That's what I'm looking forward to.

No comments: