Sunday, October 19, 2008

New quote

"I am trying to read in the succession of things presented to me every day the world's intentions towards me, and I grope my way, knowing that there can exist no dictionary that can translate into words the burden of obscure allusions that lurks in these things." - Italo Calvino

Sorry Mr Calvino, but I'm retiring your quote. As much as I like what you're saying, it's just not punchy enough for a hip, modern blog like this. I'm bringing in something from the 21st century.

Do you like sport? Do you like mathematics? Do you like sport and mathematics? Then why not come and see my collection on the Isle of Man!

Alternatively, read Moneyball by Michael Lewis. It's the gripping, unputdownable story of how nerds revolutionized the running of modern baseball teams by applying hard analytical models to player performance and dispelled generations of accumulated folk-wisdom on who the best players were and how the game should be played.

I picked it up on Friday and ended up reading the whole book that day instead of studying. I can't recommend it highly enough!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

PTR,

Can we have a section on the blog for your retired banner quotes?

It could be like a museum of the ghost of mission statements past. Don't think of it as an elephant's graveyard, but rather as a way of tracking the progressive high tide line creeping inland as the oceans rise.

Thanks!

PTR said...

Well, since you asked so nicely, why not?