Friday, October 10, 2008

Clouds


I was fascinated by the results of the latest poll on how you think of clouds. Three people, including myself, indicated that they see clouds as ice-cream castles. No-one saw clouds as bows and flows of angel hair, or feather canyons everywhere. Is this perhaps a reflection of the prevailing westerlies here in Adelaide in spring? Moreover, in a startling rejection of the poetic school of meteorology, four voters chose "None of the above".

I wonder if perhaps they think that clouds only block the sun and rain and snow on everyone. Let's face it, there are times when I thought that there were so many things I could have done but clouds got in my way. Perhaps people might care to add a comment indicating their own view of clouds.

We all know there are two sides to clouds. In the end what you recall is their illusions and you have to admit that maybe you don't know clouds as well as you thought you did.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I look at clouds by squinting up past my nose. Looking up is key (unless you happen to be walking over a mirror or other particularly shiny surface at the time).

Also very good is to get a periscope with the top right angle broken off. That way you can just keep your gaze squarely on the horizon, but still be looking straight up at the clouds (unless you lie down).