Thursday, August 7, 2008

Sometimes I doubt my sanity

I was just doing some reading for my tute tomorrow, so that if someone happens to ask me, "Did you do any work at all this week?", I can truthfully answer, "Yes I did!" and get all self-righteous on them.

So I'm flipping around through a big fat book reading about croup:

PTR
Wow! Croup is real!

Smaller Half
Of course croup is real. What are you talking about?

PTR
I always thought it was just a word that old nannas used to describe sick babies. Like colic.

Smaller Half
Colic is real. Colic refers to a specific type of pain.

PTR
Not colic then. You know what I mean though - a kind of old-wives word for an entirely non-specific set of symptoms that don't really exist. Like lumbago.

Smaller Half
Lumbago is real too.

PTR
Aaaaargh!

I seem to have developed the idea that any disease with a short or old-fashioned-sounding name doesn't really exist. Isn't that strange?

No comments: