Monday, August 18, 2008

Let's not get our lethal Bird-Women confused

I was eating dinner in a Burmese restaurant over the weekend. The candle-light was just right, the hi-fi was in the background, and the wine was delicious. One of my Dining Companions commented that the Burmese classical music sounded "harp-y". I remarked that perhaps we had all better lash ourselves to the mast. Not only did no-one laugh, I had to explain what I meant to everyone present. And here I was thinking it was some of my best work!

To add insult to injury, when I returned home I realized that I had confused Harpies with Sirens. Isn't that always the way?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who would win in a street fight between a Harpy, a Siren and a Valkaryie?

Are there any other sorts of lethal bird-women? If enough countries had their own type of mythical bird-women, then maybe we could set up a new Olympic event?

PTR said...

I think the Valkyrie would win since they are true warrior-women. Like Xena. PLus they have helicopters and napalm and stuff. At least, they did in Apocalypse Now.

I'm in favour of your new Olympic Event idea. I think that there are lots of bird-women from Asian folklore. It would be huge!