Movember - we've all seen the slow-mo train wreck happening year after year right? It's all about guys growing a mo during November and getting sponsored to raise money for men's health issues. It's not something I've done myself, despite knowing I would dominate, for two reasons:
- It really annoys me that people will happily donate to charity only when someone else is being made to suffer or look absurd. The ice-bucket challenge - yeah it raised a lot of money but why can't people just donate to worthy causes without all these shenanigans?
- My Smaller Half says my Mo is too scratchy. Sad face.
Nevertheless, it seems to be an effective way to raise money for worthy causes. Since I won't actually participate in these fund-raisin exercises, I decided that the best way for me to contribute would be to suggest some other monthly fund-raising activities for worthy causes that sometimes struggle to get the support they desperately need.
- Jamuary - Broadcast noise on your neighbor's wi-fi frequencies for a month, and raise money for music education in schools.
- Sledruary - Get sponsored to use a toboggan as your sole means of personal transport. Funds raised to support measures preventing global warming.
- Fartch - Raise money by catching all your farts in a jar for a month. Monies used to support research into Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
- Tape-ril - Help raise money for diabetes research by swallowing tapeworm eggs and getting sponsors to pay you for every pound you shed in the next month.
- Nay - All you have to do is say "Nay" and "Yea" instead of "No" and "Yes" for a month to help set up holiday farms for retired racehorses.
- Dune - To raise money for water purification kits for African villages, get sponsored to wear blue contact lenses all month. Bonus sponsorship for drinking your own urine.
- Jewly - Vow to not visit cheezburger.com for a month to raise money for charities fighting antisemitism.
- Orcgust - Get your sponsors together and play D&D every night for a month to help fund the fight against autism.
- Sectember - Get sponsors to contribute for each follower you indoctrinate into your personal cult. Have a blast and gather donations for Scientology de-programming all month.
- Cocktober - Wear only a chicken suit all month to raise money for eliminating non-free-range chicken farms.
- Movember - See the intro...
- Freecember - Get your friends/family/colleagues to pledge to support you to eschew money and only engage in barter for a month. All donations go to the IMF.