Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The beginning of the end

Yesterday was my first day of fourth (and final!) year medicine.  The most surprising thing I learned yesterday was how to extract myself from an upside-down underwater helicopter.  Hopefully this will be something that remains in the arena of theoretical knowledge for me rather than something gained through practical experience.

Apart from a few strange things like that, the day was pretty quiet.  I had a chat with one of the paramedics after lunch:
Paramedic
What have you been up to so far today?

PTR
Not much, I've spent the past couple of hours taking it easy watching the cricket in the tea room.

Paramedic
It's not "taking it easy" - it's "fatigue management".  Very important skill to perfect if you want to be operationally effective.

No comments: