Friday, June 25, 2010

Gillardia

We have a new Prime Minister down under.  Julia Gillard has been elected unopposed by the Labor caucus after Kevin Rudd spectacularly imploded under the gravitational pull of his own conceit.

Julia's happy - she's Australia's first female PM.  Labor's happy - they've shrugged off the iron yoke of totalitarianism.  Tony Abbott's happy - now the Labor MPs can't say "Et tu Brute?" to him in the lunchroom.  Kerry O'Brien's happy - rangas FTW!  I'm happy - I think she'll be an excellent PM.  She's intelligent, tough, articulate, and Left.

Everyone (bar Kevin) is happy.  Or so I thought.

Chatting to people at the clinic today, here are some of the choice comments about her:
"You'd think that her hair would look better seeing as her partner's a hairdresser."
"She could have at least worn a dress.  She wore black pants.  Probably trying to be one of the boys."
"I didn't vote for her.  The public voted for Kevin Rudd." (Er, not unless they live in South Brisbane)
"She doesn't even have any kids.  This is all she's wanted her whole life and now she got it in the bitchiest way possible."

All of the above comments were made by women.  They went on to discuss the Italian politician who had been a nude model.  I'm not 100% sure of the relevance but there you go.  Seems to me that 51% of the electorate just decided that Julia's gotten a bit uppity by smashing that glass ceiling.

What a shame.

5 comments:

Lumpage said...

"Smashing the glass ceiling"?

It seemed a lot more like an action movie. Sure it seems superficially impressive, but the glass was shattered by party hacks so she could easily pass through. I think she is more than capable at winning in her own right though.

I do like Julia, I think her communication style is much more amenable to the Australian public. I hope her leadership style turns out the same way.

PTR said...

Interesting. I don't understand the attitude that somehow she hasn't won "properly" or "in her own right". Ultimately the PM is the leader of the party in government, and thus is going to be the winner of some kind of "popularity contest", a.k.a. "election".

All political elections are influenced by lobbying, machine men, party hacks, and so forth. It's part of the process of communicating ideas and influence and I don't understand why the public gets so upset about it.

I can't why her win is only "superficially" impressive. The vast majority of her party truly wanted her. That's how you win.

Anonymous said...

It seems that our bright general population haven't yet realised that they don't actually vote for the prime minister.
If one more person tells me they didn't vote for JG I think I will slap them, it's for their own good.

Anonymous said...

Ditto for your other commentators, gave up on the number of people who said, but I didn't vote for her. Heard a fair few comments about red hair and david jones jackets( she needs to lose that one) but had a refresshing comment from a young voter, which just shows how far we have come. She said - " I don't see the big deal about her being a woman, what's that got to do with it?? She is smart, savvy and an experienced politician. What does it matter that she is a woman?? " Yay.. Gloria, Germaine what a way we have come.

PTR said...

I forgot to mention that in real life I responded to the hostile women's comments by saying, "Gee I'd hate to be a female politician - you can't please anybody. If she'd worn a skirt all the blokes would have said `What does she think this is, a dinner party?'"

They gave me some dirty looks then, let me tell you.