Monday, December 8, 2008

Funkytown

Hey there!  We're in Hanoi!

This is an incredibly full-on and confronting place to be, at least compared to the other places I've been.  It's got the energy of Kenya, the crowding of Japan, the conditions of backwater Malaysia, and the food of (not surprisingly) a Vietnamese restaurant.

I'm taking notes as I go, as I intend to post up some of the more interesting happenings for your reading pleasure, but the actual posting of them may be extremely irregular.

For now, I just wanted to go off on a complete tangent and say that if I wasn't Australian, with all the super-dooperness that goes along with it, I'd like to be Scottish.  We sat next to a Scottish guy on the plane from Singapore to Hanoi.  He was really nice.  And because he's Scottish, the mildest witticism sounds absolutely hilarious.

I'm not sure why this is.  Perhaps it's because the only Scottish people allowed on TV when I was young were comedians.  My brain must have a hard-wired connection between Scottishness and funniness.  Oh well, I'm not complaining about it.  We had a great flight.

See you bye!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back on air PTR. We've been pining for your postings.

Strangely, I'd always imagined that you WERE Scottish! You know that voice-over that comes on in your head when you read web -pages? Your voice-over is very Scottish indeed.

I'm shattered. Next you'll be telling me that Nicole Kidman's not really an English Duchess.

I'll go back and re-read your postings with a whiney nasal 'strine accent - this may generate fewer scores of "engaging" and more of "enraging".

Safe travels (and thank you for not mentioning Good Morning Vietnam - not even in passing).

PTR said...

Och aye the noo - would you believe there are idiots around here wearing "Good Morning Vietnam" T-shirts? I can't believe they haven't been deported.