Sunday, May 16, 2010

Romance

People often ask me why I decided to study medicine.  Was it to save lives?  To get rich?  Nay, I say.  It was because one day, I want to be on the cover of one these little pink books!

We found a big pile of these in a bric-a-brac shop down the coast.  These aren't just romance books, these are medical romance books!  Woo-woo!  I decided that I needed to snap a couple of pictures because I noticed certain themes developing.  In the picture above you can see that all of the doctors are Spanish.  "The Spanish Consultant's Baby", "The Spanish Doctor", and "Spanish Doctor, Pregnant Midwife".  Spicy sauce indeed.  You can tell just how hot these books are by the fact that the box they are kept in says, "STORE BELOW -18 DEGREES".  Check the picture if you don't believe me.

Here's another lot with a slightly different theme:


"Greek Doctor, One Magical Christmas", "The Greek Doctor's New-Year Baby", "The Greek Doctor's Proposal".  Apart from the slightly sleazy subtext in the sequencing of the titles, I find this kind of thing really encouraging.  First the Spanish, then the Greeks.  If they keep moving east, eventually they'll hit Australia.  And that's where I come in.

By then I should be a doctor and eminently qualified to appear on the cover of a romance novel.  And I've already come up with some good titles.  How about this: "Aussie Doctor - A Beaut Root In A Ute"?  Or "The Aussie Doctor and the Outback Coxsackie Outbreak"?

Man I am going to be famous.

No comments: