Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Nephrotoxins!

I had to give a presentation today on nephrotoxins to the head of the renal unit at the Big Hospital (ie: Mr Kidney-Guy).  There are two ways such a task can be approached: with diligence or with flair.  I chose flair (also known as laxity).

Partly this is because I really dislike watching presentations which are just endless bullet-pointed lists.  But mostly it's because I only started preparing it last night at 10.30 pm so I knew that diligence really wasn't to work out for me.

I think it went fairly well.  I got a few laughs, Mr Kidney-Guy didn't seem too upset, and I learned some lessons along the way about the true value of friendship.  Here's my first slide - all the pictures came whizzing in from the side in exciting Powerpoint animation.  You can only imagine the spectacle of it all!


Feel free to guess the relevance of the pictures.  But no, I had no good reason to use Ernest Hemingway's picture - I just did it to amuse myself...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

PTR,

If you type "nephrotoxins" into google images - it's amazing how many photos of Hemmingway pop up.

It's also pretty interesting to see which adverts google directs your way!

I'm looking forward to your next presentation on Necrotexans!

Anonymous said...

I assumed Hemingway was in there for his posthumously published "Hyalines in the Stream", which was written by him in 1950 but not published till 1970, presumably because of the nephrotoxicity of the typewriter he was using.

PTR said...

bwahahah - "Hyalines in the stream" - that's comedy gold! Nerdy, but gold!