Friday, December 20, 2013

Psychiatry for toddlers


This week I've been working as a locum in the emergency department, with the psychiatry team.  Here is the transcript of a conversation I just had with the Hatchling about it:

Hatchling
Dada, did you work today?

PTR
Yes, I did.

Hatchling
Were there lots of people and animals?

PTR
There were lots of people, yes, but no animals.

Hatchling
Were you friendly?

PTR
I was.  That's what my job is all about. When people are feeling really sad, they come to the hospital and I am friendly and nice to them, and then they aren't so sad anymore.

Hatchling
Did you give them a cuddle?

PTR
No, I just talk.  The only people I give cuddles to are you and Mama.

Hatchling
Thank you Dada.

In reality, of course, it's not quite so simple.  Psychosis, attempted suicide, substance abuse, people with really tragic histories of childhood abuse, pain, and deprivation.  But I think the details can wait until the Hatchling is a bit older than 3.  Until then I'll just continue counting my lucky stars and trying to be the best Dada I can be.  And being as friendly as I can to people who need a friend.

No comments: